Suspect dead, one bystander critically wounded after police shoot-out on Canal Street

Four other bystanders hurt

Dave Cohen, WWL First News early edition
February 18, 2019 - 7:02 am

A wanted suspect is dead after a shoot-out with police in Downtown New Orleans.  

Several other people were caught in the cross fire.  It all started when cops attempted to detain a suspect for questioning in some recent armed robberies.

"The individual then pulled a weapon out and began firing at our uniformed officers," New Orleans Police Chief Shaun Ferguson told reporters. 

NOPD returned fire.

"Five individual innocent bystanders were struck during this gunfire exchange."

He says the five victims were waiting at a bus stop at Canal and Elks Place.

The gunfire continued as the suspect fled on Elks place to Tulane Avenue.  Ferguson says that's where a cop killed the suspect.

"A Louisiana State Police officer... was then fired upon by this same individual," the chief explained.

He says the trooper returned fire and took the suspect down.

"He was transported to University Hospital, where he expired."

Listen to the news conference:

Police say one bystander was in critical condition, the four others have non-life threatening injuries.

Here is how the incident was described in NOPD's Major Offense Report:

An NOPD Sixth District detective located an armed robbery suspect at Canal St. / Elk St. and called for a uniformed officer to assist with a takedown. When the officer responded, the suspect began to fire gunshots at the officer. The officer was unable to return fire and reported a 108. Additional officers arrived and exchanged gunfire with the suspect. A foot pursuit ensued that ended in front of Tulane Medical Center, where the suspect attempted to conceal himself near bushes. State Police and NOPD officers gave commands for the subject to come out. The subject then fired gunshots, at which time the officers returned fire that struck the suspect. He was transported via EMS to a local hospital, where he expired. During the initial exchange of shots, four bystanders were struck by unknown gunfire. A fifth bystander suffered non-gunshot wound abrasions.

Comments ()