Payton admits he smashed blaring fire alarm in locker room before Bengals game

Dave Cohen, WWL First News early edition
November 12, 2018 - 12:00 pm

Saints Coach Sean Payton admitted today that he smashed the fire alarm that kept blaring during the pregame period in Cincinnati.

"I just needed the noise to stop," Payton told reporters today.  "I will confirm that I destroyed a fire alarm before the game."

Payton says, "Gladly we will take care of the repair costs."

The fire alarm was going off in Paul Brown Stadium as the Saints and Bengals were preparing to play Sunday. 

WWL Saints Sideline Reporter Steve Geller says it was blaring when he arrived at the facility in Cincinnati.  WWL Producer Robert Carroll says it continued for about half an hour.

"Oh, you could hear it throughout the stadium," he said. "It was very, very annoying."

Carroll says it just wouldn't stop.

"It was very loud... it just echoed through the place."

He says the fire department showed up, and the alarm finally went silent.

At some point, Payton had enough of it interfering with the team's pregame preparations and smashed one of the alarms in the locker room.

Officials at the stadium issued a statement indicating they did report the incident.

“We are aware of this situation and have been in touch with the authorities, but have nothing more on it at this time,” the Bengals said in the statement.
The New Orleans Advocate says the Saints declined comment on the situation after the game and noted that damaging or destroying a safety device, including an alarm, falls under misdemeanor criminal mischief in the Ohio revised code.

Other legal speculation has suggested Payton could face a felony if the Bengals want to press charges.

WWL TV contacted authorities with the prosecutor's office in Hamilton County, who told them they are waiting on police to complete their investigation fore deciding if charges will be filed.

Asked if he did it to motivate his players, Payton said, "It wasn't motivational no."

Comments ()