4 more blocks of Bourbon St. to be torn up, re-paved

David Blake
September 17, 2018 - 1:17 pm
Categories: 

One of the nation's oldest and most famous streets is in for more construction work, this time in the 500 to 800 blocks of Bourbon Street between St. Louis and Dumaine. It's phase two of fully-reconstructing the roadway and the sidewalks. 

Merchants and residents struggled through the first phase, which ran behind schedule and over budget last year. 

Businessman Mark Davidson with the Chris Owens club is far from being thrilled.

''It's just really going to effect us in the future, it's a necessary evil but I just can't wait until it's over with,'' Davidson told WWL-TV.

However, Mayor LaToya Cantrell's administration promises that they will have "an entirely new approach," saying the city learned a few lessions from the first phase of the project.

Cantrell's office says the work will occur sequentially, with only one block at a time closed to vehicular traffic. 

All businesses "will remain open and accessible throughout construction," the city said in a news release. 

They hope to complete this phase by June of next year.
 

Comments ()