Lt. Gov. optimistic about chances for football, Mardi Gras

WWL Newsroom
July 29, 2020 - 3:24 pm

Louisiana Lt. Governor Billy Nungesser is optimistic that football and Mardi Gras will not have to be canceled due to the pandemic, and is celebrating yet another record weekend for state parks.

Nungesser says the recent slowing in new cases is likely due to the mask mandate and closing of bars, and if this keeps up, he expects football to be a go for the fall and Mardi Gras to be back next year.

“I can’t imagine this state or this country without getting through this in the next several months,” says Nungesser.

He also added he is meeting soon with the Sugar Bowl Committee and is committed to holding the bowl game in New Orleans at the start of next year.

Nungesser says if the recent trend holds, he’s hopeful that the state is set to move to Phase Three in three or four weeks and not impose additional restrictions.

“Some of the recommendations from the White House...we had a call with the White House...were to dial things back, and the Governor understands the importance of businesses and does not want to do that and hopefully we won’t,” says Nungesser.

The state has now seen two consecutive days of cases under 2,000 after last week’s numbers averaging clear over 2,000 a day.

After breaking records earlier in the pandemic, Nungesser is celebrating the fact that last weekend was the biggest attendance weekend in Louisiana State Park history.

“We have got millions of people who are going to our websites, the museums and state parks we give you a mask and are constantly wiping things down, so you can do those things safely,” says Nungesser.

Comments ()