Getty Images

Fire claims life of man at Treme home where NOFD had offered free smoke detectors

April 23, 2019 - 8:31 am
Categories: 

Tom Perumean reporting...

A 54-year-old man is dead following a fire on Barracks Street.  New Orleans firefighters arrived at the shotgun home on the 2300-block of Barracks Street just after seven in the evening to find the structure consumed with flames and heavy smoke.  

"As companies gained access through the front and rear of the home an unresponsive victim was located and removed from between the third and fourth rooms of the home," Operator Gregory Davis said in a news release.

Paramedics immediately began CPR.  

Davis says that life saving efforts continued as the unidentified man was rushed to University Hospital.  That's where the man was pronounced dead.  

Firefighters continued to attack the blaze and brought it under control within 30-minutes.  The cause of the fatal fire is under investigation.  

The home had no smoke alarms, but NOFD had previously offered the residents there free smoke detectors.

"Fire Records Management System (FRMS) indicated that door hangers for free smoke alarms were left at that location," according to Davis.

The state fire marshal's office said, "The investigation into the origin and cause of this fire is on-going. More information will be released as it becomes available."

Comments ()